- FOR SALE BY ONLINE AUCTION
- 27TH SEPTEMBER 2022
- 16th Century Country House
- 15th Century Listed Chapel
- Steel Portal Framed Agricultural Building
- 5.93 acres
- Work required
About this property
Unusual opportunity to acquire a 16th Century timber framed house, Listed Grade II as a property of architectural and historic interest being divided into two with a self-contained one-bedroom annexe and well-arranged accommodation on two floors.
In addition there is a 15th Century Listed Grade II Chapel and a steel portal framed agricultural building all set in 2.403 hectares (5.938 acres).
The property will be of interest to a number of different buyers looking to acquire a house with potential, as it could be suitable for a number of purposes, subject to the necessary planning consent being forthcoming.
The property is approached from the public highway onto a private driveway which leads up to the house which benefits from pleasant gardens to the front and rear. The chapel is located to the rear of the house.
The house itself is in very poor order but it is a magnificent property that would make a fine family home either with or without the annexe, which could easily be incorporated into St Bartholomews.
The photographs included within the Sale Auction Particulars identify the beauty of the house and the chapel at the rear and there is further information available from the auctioneers relating to the property here which is available upon request.
Planning Matters: The property benefit from planning application B/13/00872 - Partial demolition and alterations to St Bartholomew's Priory Barn following a fire. Alterations and improvements to St Bartholomew's Farmhouse; addition of a conservatory to farmhouse together with linked terrace and retaining wall. Erection of garage, cart lodge, shed, and ancillary studio/office. Repairing of plinth boundary wall, iron fence and gates. Alterations to farmhouse to provide habitable accommodation on site. St Bartholomews Priory, St Bartholomews Lane, Sudbury, CO10 1XP with works having commenced on 11th November 2016.
On discussion with Babergh Mid Suffolk District Council we understand development work commenced in November 2016, but it will be for any prospective purchaser to satisfy themselves that this is the case and that the consent is still in place and has not lapsed.
Further information can be found here:
(1) The property will be subject to an overage. Further details will be found within the legal pack.
(2) Historic England have confirmed that the property is subject to grant conditions until 16th November 2025, namely in respect of Public Access: (14.01) The Grant Recipient must arrange for the general public to have access to the Site as set out in the Public Access Requirements. (14.02) The Grant Recipient must erect and maintain a notice in an agreed position, clearly displaying the opening arrangements. (14.03) Confirmation of opening dates, times and arrangements must be provided to English Heritage by the Grant Recipient annually, and promptly on request. A list of opening dates, times and arrangements at grant aided properties and photographs, provided by the Grant Recipient or taken by English Heritage, may be published by English Heritage on its website and in commercial directories. (14.04) Disposal of the property by sale or lease without the written consent of English Heritage may result in non-compliance of clauses 14.01 and 14.02.
Solicitor: Birketts (Attn Mark Beaton), Kingfisher House, 1 Gilders Way, Norwich, NR3 1UB. Tel. 01603 756403
The property is located in the north of Sudbury which is situated in South Suffolk, 16 miles north of Colchester and 17 miles south of Bury St Edmunds.
Access to the property is off Clermont Avenue/Head Way, adjacent to the A134 which provides good access links to the wider area.
The property is bordered by residential development to the east, south and west, with the A134 to the north.
Coming north from Colchester, follow the A134 through Sudbury and then take the first exit off Tesco roundabout. Proceed along Clermont Avenue for approximately 350 yards and the property entrance will be on your right hand side.
Coming south from Bury St Edmunds, follow the A134 until you reach Sudbury and take the third exit off the Tesco roundabout. Proceed along Clermont Avenue for approximately 350 yards and the property entrance will be on your right hand side.
Please call us for viewing arrangements.
Buyer Fees: Please note that the successful bidder will be required to pay an Administration Charge of £1080 inclusive of VAT. This fee is due and payable from the winning bidder immediately after the timed auction ends. The successful bidder will additionally pay over to the auctioneer a deposit of 10% of the purchase price, subject to a minimum of £5,000, after the timed auction ends. All payments to be made by debit card payment or electronic bank transfer to the Brown&Co Client Account, the details of which will be provided by the auctioneer to the successful bidder shortly after the auction ends. Other fees may be payable on completion and will be detailed within the Special Conditions of Sale to be found within the published Auction Pack.
Ability to Buy: This property is being sold under Unconditional Auction Rules creating a legally binding contract at the conclusion of the timed auction. DO NOT bid unless you can complete the sale within 28 days, or on the terms specified within the Special Conditions of Sale.
Help and Assistance: If you have any questions or require any clarification as to the online auction process please contact the auctioneer prior to commencement of the bidding window as we will be unable to enter into any discussions once the auction has started.
Bidding Process: Prior to bidding the bidder will complete a Passport-to-Bid process, which requires registration, verification and agreement to Buyers Terms.
How To Follow the Auction: Use 'Watch' button to follow the auction. If you register to Watch an auction you will receive email notifications of any bidding activity on the specific lot.
How It Works: Unconditional Timed Auction Online: This is a binding method of sale similar to a traditional public property auction. The only difference is the bidding takes place online. The successful purchaser will be required to pay a 10% deposit (subject to a minimum payment of £5,000) on the fall of the virtual gavel and contracts will be exchanged. Bidding for properties online works in a similar fashion to eBay. You can place bids using your PC, tablet or mobile phone and the minimum amount you can bid is defined by the 'bid increment' level. When you place a bid, the property listing page will show you if your bid was successful and whether or not you are the highest bidder. When you are the highest bidder on a property, if another bidder outbids you the system will notify you by email so that you can place another bid if you wish. The major difference from eBay is that our system eradicates sudden death 'bid sniping' through the use of auction 'extension times'. If you have any questions or require any clarification please contact the auctioneer.
(1) All measurements are approximate and quoted for general guidance only and whilst every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy, they must not be relied upon.
(2) Any fixtures, fittings and appliances referred within these published details have not been tested and therefore no guarantee can be given that they are in working order.
(3) Internal photographs are reproduced for general information and it is not inferred that any item shown within any picture is included with the property.
(4) Photographs shown within these details may have been taken with a camera using a wide-angle lens.
(5) These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
(6) In accordance with UK Anti Money Laundering Regulations Intending buyers will be asked to produce original Identity Documentation, Proof of Address and be subjected to an electronic ID verification check before a purchase conveyance is instructed.
(7) Brown&Co comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR") please visit our website www.brown-co.com for our Privacy Statement, Subject Access Requests can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org .
(8) Brown&Co are regulated under the RICS code of conduct.
(9) Brown&Co are a member of The Property Redress Scheme, Membership Number: PRS012758 https://www.theprs.co.uk/
(10) Brown&Co is a member of RICS Client Money Protection Scheme, RICS Firm Reference: 016189 (11) Brown&Co-Property And Business Consultants LLP trading as Brown&Co Registered Company Number OC302092. (11) Registered Office Address - The Atrium, St George's Street, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3 1AB
To arrange a viewing contact
The Atrium, St George's Street, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3 1AB
Register with us and we will email you properties matching your search requirements.