- 17th century country house
- 8 bedrooms
- Gardens and grounds amounting to 1.87 acres (stms)
- Grade II listed
- Excellent range of outbuildings
- Superb order throughout
A most attractive 17th century grade II listed country house with excellent associated outbuildings set within gardens and grounds approaching 1.87 acres (stms).
About this property
DESCRIPTION The Old Rectory is a most attractive Grade II listed country house built in 1635 by Edward Duncon, former rector of Swannington, reputedly from the proceeds of the sale of manuscripts of the poet, George Herbert. The house was substantially enlarged in 1841 and carries a fascinating history being sold away by the church in 1968.
A main feature of the house is the highly attractive stepped parapet and gable walls to the front and rear elevations which provide a uniqueness to The Old Rectory. The house is principally of red brick construction, with gault brick dressings under pantile roof and stands particularly well within its plot being well set back from the road and beautifully bordered by the mature landscape.
Although the house dates to the 17th century, the whole is offered in superb order throughout. There are many period features to the property including sash windows with original shutters (all in working order), bespoke joinery and fine fireplaces.
The front door is centrally positioned along the main façade being of rendered surround with battlemented parapet. Immediately you notice there is a wonderful open plan feel to the house, particularly on the ground floor. The flagstone and quarry tiled entrance hall provides access to the principal rooms. The westerly facing sitting room is a joyous space with recessed bookcases, and a Clearview log burner under a marble fireplace. The focal point to the Rectory is without question the dining room and drawing room with both rooms exhibiting marble fireplaces and are divided by double doors which can be closed to enjoy a more intimate setting. The drawing room enjoys fine views over the formal gardens from its bay window. Further notable ground floor rooms include the kitchen breakfast room with walk-in larder, a study (the former Butler's pantry) with extensive cupboards, and access from the inner hall is provided into the large dry cellar with sump to glass capped well.
There are two staircases to the first floor. The main staircase flows up to a central landing providing access to the principal bedroom, nursery/bedroom five and bedroom three. The original 1635 window provides a charming visual link between the bedroom and the principal bedroom bathroom suite. As you move through to the south wing of the house there are two further bedrooms which include the guest bedroom en-suite shower room and the family bathroom. Bedrooms three and four both share a useful toilet and wash basin via an inner link.
The second-floor is a wonderful space for children with its own kitchen/dining area, games/family room, bathroom and three additional bedrooms with en-suite shower to the main second floor bedroom. There is also a fold away fire escape ladder on the landing.
Outside - The Old Rectory is approached via a carriage driveway and is well screened from the minor road with parking for many vehicles to the front and side of the house and up to the brick under pantile garaging and stable block. There are a number of excellent outbuildings within the grounds including the lean-to brick-built garden room with space for the oil tank (2800 litres), aga tank (1750 litres) and log store.
There are three further outbuildings (all of brick construction) being a garden shed, tool shed, and garden furniture room. A wonderful feature of the property is the part rendered Tythe Barn, also listed grade II with two stables, tack room, and hayloft above providing ample storage/additional parking. The barn has great potential to be converted subject to the necessary planning consent being forthcoming.
The garden and grounds are an exceptional feature to The Old Rectory with many points of interest, the principal gardens are mainly to the south and are well stocked with a number of fine trees including silver poplars, American oak, a heavy fruiting Mulberry and a delightful magnolia. The rose gardens are worthy of special mention and enjoy fine views back towards the house and over the terrace. To the west of the house lies another impressive terrace with veranda which leads down to a large, fenced pond adjoining the orchard.
Services - Mains water, mains electricity, Private drainage (electric sewerage treatment system and soakaway, constructed in 2008), Oil fired central heating system and Aga. Broadband.
Acreage - 1.87 acres (stms).
Local authority - Broadland District Council. Council Tax Band H.
LOCATION The pretty village of Swannington is roughly 8 miles to the north of Norwich, the cathedral city and centre of East Anglia, which is well known for its shopping and architecture. Norwich airport is located to the north of the city with most international destinations available.
Swannington itself lies to the southwest of Aylsham, and about 8 miles northwest of Norwich. This village or hamlet consists of little more than 50 homes, a 13th century church and a children's play area. Swannington Airfield was built in 1943 and was home to the 100 Group. Today you can still see evidence of the runways and some perimeter track, although much of the land has been returned to agricultural use.
Aylsham is approximately 8 miles to the northeast from The Old Rectory. Aylsham itself is an ever-growing popular Norfolk market town as it has an attractive marketplace with plenty of local facilities including a variety of small shops, three supermarkets and good pubs and it also benefits from being both a short distance from unspoilt countryside as well as being just 20 minutes from the city of Norwich. Holt, another picturesque North Norfolk town with excellent shopping, village hall and sporting facilities as well as being home to the renowned Gresham's public school.
DIRECTIONS From Norwich travelling on the Drayton Road, take the main Fakenham Road (B1067) passing through Taverham. Turn right just before Attlebridge church, signposted Felthorpe and Buxton. Follow the signpost to Swannington, cross the split crossroads and proceed for about 1 mile into the village of Swannington. The Old Rectory is located on the right-hand side next to the St Margaret's Church.
AGENT´S NOTES:- (1) There are no rights of way over the property.
(2) There is a new flue liner to the wood burner (2022).
(3) There is Chubb Burglar alarm and locks to ground floor windows and Outbuildings separately alarmed ( Farmwatch)
(4) The photographs shown in this brochure have been taken with a camera using a wide angle lens and therefore interested parties are advised to check the room measurements prior to arranging a viewing.
(5) Intending buyers will be asked to produce original Identity Documentation and Proof of Address before solicitors are instructed.
VIEWING Strictly by prior appointment through the selling agents' Norwich Office. Tel: 01603 629871