The site was marketed as a development site, albeit without any existing planning consent. Development of the site is complicated by the need to retain the Grade II Listed barn, being a circa 1800’s red brick building with dovecotes in each gable end. The barn was part of Home Farm serving the adjacent Bawtry Hall, which itself was built in 1785 by a Wakefield wool merchant.
Paul White at Brown & Co commented that the Listed barn was “very much the challenging aspect of this site and did put off some prospective purchasers.”
The site was purchased on an unconditional basis by a local developer who is now looking at options for retaining the Listed barn and developing out the rest of the site, with the potential for this being residential or, perhaps, a mixed use scheme with some retail and residential.
Bawtry is an affluent small market town steeped in history. Several Roman military camps were situated close to Bawtry, because the town lay on the Lincoln to York route. The town was granted its first charter in 1213. It is a very popular shopping and leisure destination.